Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The art of making new things old

Just last week I went over to my friend's mother's house and she taught us how to antique wood. The process is rather simple:

  • Paint the wood (a couple coats are good).
  • You can then paint a different color on top, so that when you sand it, the 1st color comes up (optional).
  • Sand the wood lightly and unevenly using sand paper that's 150-200 grain (I don't know if this is the correct terminology).
  • Stain the wood so that the part that was exposed through sanding is not bare. This step also brightens the color. 
  • Wipe off the stain. 
  • Add a wax to seal the project and protect it from water.
And that, my friends, is the art of making new things appear old.

*Keep in mind, I am not an expert. However, I do know that if something is already finished w/ a gloss, you will need to sand that down so that the paint will stick to the wood. More projects to come. Here is my first ever attempt in antiquing a piece of furniture (refer to picture).


No comments:

Post a Comment