- Paint the wood (a couple coats are good).
- You can then paint a different color on top, so that when you sand it, the 1st color comes up (optional).
- Sand the wood lightly and unevenly using sand paper that's 150-200 grain (I don't know if this is the correct terminology).
- Stain the wood so that the part that was exposed through sanding is not bare. This step also brightens the color.
- Wipe off the stain.
- Add a wax to seal the project and protect it from water.
*Keep in mind, I am not an expert. However, I do know that if something is already finished w/ a gloss, you will need to sand that down so that the paint will stick to the wood. More projects to come. Here is my first ever attempt in antiquing a piece of furniture (refer to picture).